Monday, November 15, 2010

Now A Medical Update
The doctors came today and checked me out, they are pleased with my progress. They took out the drain!! They told me that I will need to stay in the hospital until Wednesday or Thursday. I learned a few new things, I was told that there are three circulatory systems; the arteries which take fresh blood to the cells of the body, the veins which return the used blood back to the lungs and heart and the third system, that of the Lymph. This was a new but if information to me, it was pointed out that as they had done a biopsy on some of of my lymph nodes that they had damaged the lymph circulatory system. The other two systems carry blood, as se all know blood has the very unique ability to coagulate when we are injured quickly staunching the flow of blood. The lymph fluid dies not have this property. They must be absolutely sure that the lymph system has stopped leaking before they let me out of the hospital. As I said they took out the drain today and that us good news, also when
thy pulled it out it did not hurt at all again a good thing. Now they have bound my doubtful very tightly with some non stretchy bandages to put pressure on it to force out any fluid. They should know by Thursday at the latest if the lymph has healed. I had hoped to get out tomorrow, Tuesday, but it looks like now the earliest would be Wednesday.
I would rather stay a couple of days now and get a good solid start on healing.
Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Just remembered where you were and found the link to the blog... read most of the posts and comments. Sorry I wasn't here for you during the early parts. But I am very glad that the surgery went well and you are well under way in the healing.

    The tough part about the lymph system is that there aren't discrete vessels (like blood arteries, capillaries, and veins), and the pumping is done by the muscle activity, not a separate pump which can be fixed. That is why Jenny is still in compression hose on her legs, years after her surgery. Hope your system comes together so you don't need special stuff like that, and hope your progress continues well.

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Charlie nice to see you drop by!
    I wear the pressure socks now due to the bad circulation in my legs, so that is not one more thing I'll have to do, as I already do it :)
    I have been getting in an hours brisk walk for the last three days and the doctors are happy to see me doing this, so I will continue!!
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete